Effectively explore alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain the support and acceptance of all parties.
- Question others to gain clarity on their needs and desired outcomes.
- Keep calm and use assertive, tactful and diplomatic behaviour.
- Listen carefully to the arguments of the other party.
- Respond to opposing views in a non-defensive manner.
- Make sure there is an agreed deadline for resolution.
- List all the issues which are important to both sides and identify the key issues.
- Identify any areas of common ground.
- Clearly communicate own needs and desired outcomes of the discussion.
- Understand the underlying concerns and needs of the parties involved.
- Summarise the points of agreement and areas of difference in the positions of the parties involved in the discussion and test the understanding by communicating to parties involved.
- Know when to compromise to achieve desired outcomes.
- Modify argument to suit audience.
- Use a range of approaches and strategies to gain support for ideas.
- Be a master negotiator.
- Be sought out by others to mediate prolonged, complex and difficult disputes.
- Try to achieve a mutually agreeable outcome by offering ideas and possible solutions which take all parties’ needs into consideration.
- Identify minimal or ideal conditions of others during negotiations.
- Demonstrate use of a direct and diplomatic style; challenge information to detect discrepancies in reasoning.
- Show an excellent sense of timing, quickly gain trust and respect of all other parties to the negotiations.
- Lead the most complex negotiations and demonstrate expert closing skills and excellent political and cultural savvy.