Motivate and guide others to accomplish work objectives through performance management. Set clear performance expectations; use appropriate interpersonal skills to gain commitment from staff; monitor and guide progress; seek and give feedback; appraise performance outcomes; plan and support the development of others; facilitate relationships with others; advise staff to better navigate complexity in roles; allocate decision-making authority and task responsibilities to appropriate subordinates; utilise subordinate’s time, skills and potential effectively.
- Display people management potential.
- Demonstrate leadership fundamentals.
- Demonstrate self-awareness and self-control.
- Demonstrate growth mindset.
- Take action to clarify goals and objectives for the team if there is uncertainty around performance expectations.
- Continually examine own and team’s actions to assess whether they are in line with team objectives.
- Monitor the progress of the team toward the accomplishment of performance expectations; give timely, constructive, actionable feedback.
- Make plans to facilitate progress towards objectives.
- Implement performance improvement process where necessary.
- Define tasks and activities of team members.
- Define roles and responsibilities of team members.
- Set measurable and achievable performance expectations for team members that align with department and organisation objectives.
- Delegate assignments and tasks appropriately, ensuring that the individual has the skills and competencies to get it done.
- Provide appropriate guidance and support for delegated tasks.
- Push responsibility back to team members (rather than taking charge) if they have the capability to accomplish something.
- Conduct productive performance feedback discussions, giving team members necessary focus, guidance, and direction.
- Hold team members responsible for the attainment of established performance expectations; deal effectively with poor performance.
- Recognise and reward successful behaviours and results within policy.
- Ensure that faculty/departmental goals and objectives are aligned with organisation’s strategy.
- Focus own department on the accomplishment of key objectives.
- Ensure commitment to and application of the performance feedback process throughout the department/organisation.