Knowledge and ability to implement the methods, practices and policies governing the design, analysis, development, management and use of the IT hardware and software to transfer information such as data, voice, images, and video over fibre optics, wired or wireless for intra-building or enterprise-wide networking. This involves management of network performance through systems application and networking protocols. The networking system components comprises of software (operating systems and applications) and hardware (computer, routers, switch, cable and hub).
Level 1 (Follow)
- Demonstrate basic understanding of function of common networking protocols.
- Able to identify commonly used Transmission Control Protocols (TCP) and User Datagram Protocols (UDP) and their features.
- Able to troubleshoot connection issues on both TCP and UDP.
- Understand need for capacity planning and performance management of TCP and UDP.
- Basic knowledge on address formats such as IPv6 and IPv4.
Level 2 (Assist)
- Able to identify common routing protocol which includes link state, distance vector and hybrid protocols.
- Able to identify and articulate the purpose and properties of routing.
- Good knowledge on the basic elements of unified and communication standards.
- Familiar with implementation technologies to support cloud and virtualisation.
Level 3 (Apply)
- Capable to identify the common physical network topologies.
- Capable to identify common connector types.
- Able to differentiate and fabricate cables according to Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA)/Electronic Industries Alliance (EIA) standards.
- Able to install components of wiring distribution.
- Able to install, configure and differentiate between common network connectivity devices.
Level 4 (Ensure)
- In-depth knowledge and able to provide details insights on layers of TXP/IP and Open Systems Intercommunication (OSI) models.
- Able to configure appropriate encryption, configure channels and frequencies.
- Advanced knowledge on feature of switches.
- Mentor/guide individuals and cross-functional teams on networking technologies.
Level 5 (Strategise)
- Demonstrate expert knowledge of telecommunications networking technology.
- Have good insight on network technology initiatives and technological trends to support national telecommunication strategy.
- Demonstrate broad-based knowledge of information technology.
- Develop business cases for enterprise-wide network technology initiatives as a direct response to business drivers.
- Develop policy and standards for networking technology and contributes to governmental and/or industry standards working groups (e.g., International Telecommunication Union).