Knowledge and ability to apply methods, practices and policy to plan, develop, manage databases and retrieval.
Level 1 (Follow)
- Demonstrate basic understanding of database management, logical design concepts and levels of database security.
- Understand the difference between different database structures (e.g, relational vs. network).
- Comprehend database design (e.g., diagrams, schemas, models).
- Demonstrate basic understanding of data manipulation language (DML).
- Demonstrate an awareness of performance issues (e.g., distribution of data, size definitions).
Level 2 (Assist)
- Understand a single database management system (DBMS), its components and how they relate to each other.
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of data manipulation language (DML) and data definition language (DDL).
- Code/test basic database access modules (e.g., stored procedures).
- Troubleshoot, at a basic level, to understand database problem and identify where to direct it (e.g., basic database accessibility).
- Recognise the importance of database basic recovery and, with guidance, perform backup and recovery.
- Understand database release management, applications business rules, data integrity issues, database security implementation, workload manager and interaction with DBMS.
- Perform data population, debugging and testing.
- Conduct basic impact analysis for database change management.
Level 3 (Apply)
- Demonstrate working level understanding of single DBMS relevant operating systems, applications business rules and its dependencies with other applications, databases and/or business partners.
- Apply wide range of concepts to the corporate/vendor environment (e.g., database security and/or individual profiles).
- Make recommendations on logical/physical models (e.g., converts from logical model, implements, and maintains physical model to meet storage, availability, and performance requirements).
- Develop, code, test, and review complex database access modules.
- Solve problems that impact on the business or service, resolves data integrity issues and implements data integrity safeguards, and use diagnostic and monitoring tools to prevent problems/enhance performance and availability.
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge of system testing and integration environments.
- Develop, select, recommend, and implement strategies for backup and recovery, data population and migration.
- Conduct general impact analysis on database change.
Level 4 (Ensure)
- Demonstrate broad understanding of multiple DBMS or an in-depth knowledge of one or more DBMS.
- Develop logical models incorporating business requirements such as high availability, redundancy, and disaster recovery into the logical/physical database design.
- Research, pilot, evaluate new technologies and standards, identify how they will integrate with the corporate network and recommend strategies.
- Solve unusual problems or problems with a significant impact on the business.
- Deal with major and/or multiple application groups.
- Create or review certification testing.
- Develop standards and procedures for implementing new database technology.
- Mentor people and provide input/guidance to cross-functional teams.
Level 5 (Strategise)
- Demonstrate expert knowledge of data management, data stewardship, government-wide data management initiatives and trends in data management and how they can be applied.
- Hold an enterprise-wide view and/or is regarded as the subject matter expert in one or more areas of expertise and provide effective strategic direction to enterprise-wide data management.
- Develop enterprise-wide multi-disciplinary architectural documents translating business data requirements into topographical format.
- Demonstrate broad-based knowledge of information technology (e.g., programming, data management, platforms).
- Develop business cases for enterprise-wide data management initiatives as a direct response to business drivers.
- Guide and oversee multiple-concurrent data management projects.
- Conduct procurement for data management solutions and related services.
- Develop strategies, policy and standards for corporate data management and contributes to standards working groups and/or industry.